When it comes to roof repairs, some homeowners are tempted to do it themselves in an effort to save money and prove their skills. Many consider themselves to be craftsmen with a track record of successful home improvement projects. Their confidence level can be very high as they give themselves permission to take on increasingly challenging projects.
Like any other hazardous project, roof repairs require a high-level commitment to safety. This includes proper footwear, knowledge of how to maneuver on sloped surfaces, working with power nail guns, weather conditions and many other factors.
If you’re thinking about working on your own roof, there are some things you need to consider:
- Roofing projects take a lot of time – more than you think. In fact, the time required can be so great that it can actually make more financial sense to hire professionals. The time you invest could easily add up to more than what it would cost to use a professional roofer.
- Then there are the tools. If you don’t already have them, purchasing the appropriate hardware and tools could quickly deplete your budget. Likewise, if you are not familiar with the proper technique of using the equipment, you expose yourself to risks that could threaten your safety and health.
- Roofing projects typically require a certain degree of expertise and physical strength. Don’t underestimate the extensive manual labor involved. It can take a toll, draining energy from other pursuits including those that produce income for your family.
- Since a roof is a major investment for your home and any construction on or around it could potentially be a liability, consider the fact that when you do repairs yourself, you are not insured like a professional roofing company. Should even a minor accident occur, the consequences of not being properly insured could be disastrous.
- Finally, remember that warranties on parts like roofing shingles depend on proper installation, something that only a professional company would be likely to guarantee. Shingle replacement and other similar repairs are sometimes best left to a trusted professional for this reason.
GO WITH GARRETT. KNOXVILLE’S HAAG-CERTIFIED ROOFING EXPERTS.
Need a roof inspection? Contact the roofing experts at Garrett Construction and Roofing. We are Haag-Certified roofing inspectors and will inspect your roof for FREE to determine whether it was installed properly. This inspection will also determine if the roofing product is failing prematurely due to manufacturing problems. This will allow you to rely on the product warranty for repair or replacement. Go with Garrett.
Make an appointment today with Garrett!